Following the signature of a Memorandum of Understanding on 08 September 2010 and the drawing of a joint cooperation roadmap providing a framework towards cooperation in the field of ITS, the Second Bilateral meeting was organised on 24 November in Moscow for ERTICO and ITS Russia partners. The meeting provided an opportunity for:
- Exchange of knowledge and best-practices between Europe and Russia. Three priority areas were selected among the partnership: eCall/ERA GLONASS, Galileo / GLONASS ITS based applications, and Interoperability in terms of Road User Charging.
- European and Russian partners to network with a view towards opening doors for new project developments between the two regions.
The meeting was attended by 50 participants from more than 30 companies which included ERTICO partners BMW, Cinterion Wireless Modules, Continental Automotive GmbH, DENSO, Egis Mobilité, Ericsson, Honda, IBM, innovITS, Kapsch, NAVTEQ, NXP Semiconductors, Peek Traffic, Toyota and VW.
Russian stakeholders included: representatives of the Ministry of Transport of Russia, State company AvtoDor, NIS JSC, Russian Space Corporation, Professional Association in vehicle risk prevention, telematics systems manufacturers and road traffic management technologies developers Optima, Tolltec, security and safety systems for transport manufacturers and operators Caesar Satellite, and Mobile Positioning Systems.
Participants agreed that closer cooperation is needed, and that a platform such as the one provided by the bilateral meetings facilitates such cooperation. Industry partners were particularly interested in sharing experiences and best practices. It was further stressed that closer cooperation at a political level between Europe and Russia would be welcome, as it would support the deployment of ITS in the two regions, something considered as crucial since there is an intensification and expansion of the transport corridors between Europe and Russia.
Other conclusions included:
- Need to share information about specifications for ERA GLONASS with European stakeholders
- Need to share information regarding standardisation developed in Europe
For Galileo / GLONASS ITS based applications
- Sharing information about what you can do with increased accuracy position
- Insuring that both position systems are leveraged when developing ITS applications
For Interoperability in terms of Road User Charging
- Interoperability will be a key factor in the future, especially since more and more fleets travel between the two regions
- Importance of thinking ahead when implementing Road User Charging
- Organisational issues are very difficult to solve
- Establishing Pilots between Europe and Russia for the transport corridor Finland – St.Petersburg
The Third Bilateral meeting will tentatively be organised during the ITS European Congress in Lyon, 6 - 9 June 2011.
For more information, please contact ERTICO:
Irina Silva (firstname.lastname@example.org) or
Rasmus Lindholm (email@example.com)